Stuck on first frame in Linux

Crashes, bugs or other issues
tastytoaster

Stuck on first frame in Linux

Post by tastytoaster »

Hi, it seems the Linux version might have some issues.

The first issue I had I was able to solve. After installing Vivecraft, attempting to launch it would result in the game crashing immediately. This was fixed by going to the Vivecraft profile, and changing the "Java executable" setting to Oracle JRE 1.8.0_241.

With that issue solved, the game starts up fine. However, once I reach the main menu, only the first frame after loading is rendered in the headset. What I mean is, inside the headset is a stuck image of the loading screen with no tracking whatsoever. On the monitor it shows head movement and controller tracking accurately, but in the headset it is still just a stuck image.

This was tested on an Nvidia GTX 1080 with proprietary drivers 440.64 on Pop!_OS 19.10. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated :)
Davilka

Re: Stuck on first frame in Linux

Post by Davilka »

tastytoaster wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:43 pm With that issue solved, the game starts up fine. However, once I reach the main menu, only the first frame after loading is rendered in the headset. What I mean is, inside the headset is a stuck image of the loading screen with no tracking whatsoever. On the monitor it shows head movement and controller tracking accurately, but in the headset it is still just a stuck image.

This was tested on an Nvidia GTX 1080 with proprietary drivers 440.64 on Pop!_OS 19.10. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated :)
Same problem.
Stuck at loading screen with progress bar.
Desktop mirror shows that tracking works fine
Tested with GTX 1080ti on Manjaro Linux
jrbudda
Site Admin

Post by jrbudda »

I read somewhere recently that using any kind of supersampling on linux+steamvr+opengl causes it to do this. You might try editing the optionsviveprofiles txt file to make sure the render scale multiplier is exactly 1.0.
tastytoaster

Post by tastytoaster »

jrbudda wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:53 pm I read somewhere recently that using any kind of supersampling on linux+steamvr+opengl causes it to do this. You might try editing the optionsviveprofiles txt file to make sure the render scale multiplier is exactly 1.0.
Hi jrbudda, I've set all super sampling in steamvr to 100% and made sure "renderScaleFactor" was set to 1.0 in optionsviveprofiles.txt. Unfortunately, I am still having the same problem. However I found that starting the game in windowed mode will allow the HMD to update until the main menu is almost full loaded.

SteamVR settings: https://i.imgur.com/TiIFRf5.png
Starting the game in fullscreen mode: https://i.imgur.com/pbxbENi.png
Starting the game in windowed mode: https://i.imgur.com/Zw4hBN3.png
jrbudda
Site Admin

Post by jrbudda »

Is that better than it was? I don't have much else to suggest. The last thing to load is the main-menu-world system which can be disabled with an option.
jrbudda
Site Admin

Post by jrbudda »

maybe something in here will help you

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/c ... lve_index/
psymin

Post by psymin »

Which version are you using?

I'm using vivecraft-1.12.2-jrbudda-7-r12-installer.exe

That is the newest 1.12.2 that functions for me.
5of0

Post by 5of0 »

I also have this issue with the 1.15.2 release, both v1 and v2 - tracking works up through the menu, and then it's frozen on the last frame of the loading screen with no tracking in the headset after that. Tracking in the desktop window works just fine. The lack of tracking is reflected in the VR View window as well. I've tried with and without Direct Display Mode enabled with no change, and my renderScaleFactor is indeed 1.0.

I've tried looking through SteamVR and Minecraft logs, and the only think I see that's at all suspicious is this when I wake up the headset and it tries again to render:

Code: Select all

Sun Jun 07 2020 15:10:46.951363 - Timed out waiting for signal thread after 1.06ms!
Sun Jun 07 2020 15:11:47.196289 - [System] Unknown Transition from 'SteamVRSystemState_Standby' to 'SteamVRSystemState_Ready'.
Sun Jun 07 2020 15:11:54.196707 - [System] Unknown Transition from 'SteamVRSystemState_Ready' to 'SteamVRSystemState_Standby'.
Which seems...not terribly helpful. Steam Home works fine, I haven't tried a lot of other VR stuff in Linux yet. If there's anything else I can do to help troubleshoot, let me know!
PengiunVR

Post by PengiunVR »

Same problem here on an AMD 5700 on Linux with a Valve Index. If I found a workaround I'll post it here.
jrbudda
Site Admin

Post by jrbudda »

We're trying some workarounds for Linux, if you're a linux user please stop by the discord and help us test some things.