Mixed reality mode - questions and suggestions

Vivecraft general discussion, suggestions, chitchat.
J.Clockson

Mixed reality mode - questions and suggestions

Postby J.Clockson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Hello there,

I am trying to record vivecraft in mixed reality mode via OBS - targeting a video resolution of 1080p.

In regards of that, I am getting some problems:

1. What resolution does the initial 4 panel mixed reality window have?
And is there a way to set it to another exact resolution, like 1440p or higher?

Because, for example, if I cut out the foreground panel as a layer in OBS, I have to manually scale it up, to match the 1080p. But by doing that, the pixels get distorted and so the border between visible foreground and perfect black area (chroma key target) gets blurred. Which results in a very visible black border between foreground and background. This can be countered by fiddleing with the chroma key filter, but only results in less perfect chroma keying.

* If each of the separated MR-Panels could be set to a resolution of 1080p (initial MR-4 Panel 2160x3840) this problem could be eliminated.

2. I want to use a fixed webcam, which is positioned ~2m over my desk. It is very hard to reach; especialy while trying to hold a vive controler backwards and steady in my hands, performing the "camera snap"-combo.

Pointing the wand at the exact position, where the camera is looking, is nearly impossible.
Also this is always resulting in some camera roll. For which I than have to exit Vivecraft and zero it via the cfg-file.

* Instead, how about just "snapping" the position of the camera (origin) with the wand and, in a second step, "snapping" the position (target), where the camera should point at?

* Also, how about being able to change all the cam stats ingame, in a "mixed reality menu"?

Thanks in advance, for reading, considering and (maybe) answering.
Best regards.

jrbudda
Site Admin

Re: Mixed reality mode - questions and suggestions

Postby jrbudda » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 pm

If you fullscreen the desktop window, I think the panels should be exactly half the monitor height?

There are in-game keyboard hotkeys for moving the MR camera around. Your suggestions of better ways to do it are good.

J.Clockson

Postby J.Clockson » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:25 am

Thank you very much for answering :)

jrbudda wrote:If you fullscreen the desktop window, I think the panels should be exactly half the monitor height?

Sadly no, it is not. There is still the title bar of the window. And [alt]+[enter] does not fullscreen the, nor is there a borderless mode.
Putting that aside, it would mean, that I had to set the desktop resolution to that value, every time before I wanted to record.
By the way, meanwhile I used a tool to read out the initial size of the mr window. It is 1282 x 766... :?

Is there no place in the files, where I can find and edit some convenient variables like "MR_window_res_x" and "MR_window_res_y"?

jrbudda wrote:There are in-game keyboard hotkeys for moving the MR camera around. Your suggestions of better ways to do it are good.

But these controls are on the keyboard; which is at my desk; where I am not, when I want to target the camera on me (standing in the playspace).
In regards of that, a general "setup-mode" or "director-mode" would be helpful.
By activating it (via main/vr menu), the "gameplay" controls on the wand, like hotbar management, could be replaced with the camera controls and stuff.

jrbudda
Site Admin

Postby jrbudda » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:57 am

F11 is fullscreen