Vivecraft on Ubuntu

Crashes, bugs or other issues
detnyre

Vivecraft on Ubuntu

Postby detnyre » Sun May 05, 2019 2:12 am

Installed Minecraft then Vivecraft 1.13.2 on my Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS system.

When I launch a Vivecraft world it give me this error:

[0504/205324:INFO:GameCallbacks.cpp(198)] launcher/launcher (main) info ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/daetnyr/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassCastException: class jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader cannot be cast to class java.net.URLClassLoader (jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader and java.net.URLClassLoader are in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.<init>(Launch.java:34)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)

Have seen some references to this type of error, but not found a work around.

Anyone have any suggestions to get past this? I'm able to run other HTC Vive VR games on this same Ubuntu system, but not Vivecraft.....

jrbudda
Site Admin

Re: Vivecraft on Ubuntu

Postby jrbudda » Mon May 06, 2019 6:18 am

this is some kind of java problem and unrelated to VR

detnyre

Postby detnyre » Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 pm

I agree - trying to troubleshoot. Is there a version of java that Vivecraft is expecting, or should any of the recent versions work?

detnyre

Postby detnyre » Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 pm

I got past the java error. Found I was running Java 11. Uninstalled Java 11 and installed Java 8 and now it starts up.

Problem I’m having now is that the image on the monitor looks good and it tracks my head movements - but the image in the headset does not move around the world. It shows a single world image and the entire world moves as I move my head around.

For example, if I’m looking at a tree in the headset and I move my head to the left the entire world moves and I’m still staring at the same tree.
Any recommendations or suggestions to get past this?

jrbudda
Site Admin

Postby jrbudda » Tue May 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Thats the steamvr compositor not working properly, i would suspect an opengl or gpu driver problem. steamvr on non-windows platforms has been sketchy at best.

detnyre

Postby detnyre » Wed May 08, 2019 1:01 am

I have other Steam VR games working with Ubuntu like Steam VR home, Dungeon Escape VR and Vanishing Realms.

I'm getting a bit further. I can launch Vivecraft and I can see the Minecraft menu in the 3D world on my monitor if I move the headset around to the right direction. I can then start a single player game.

Once the game starts I just see large boxes like an extreme close up of Minecraft block. The tracking on the monitor looks right but the compositor is not getting the headset's video right. Will continue to tweak settings and try sitting mode to see if I can get any further progress...

Any recommendations or suggestions would be welcome...

jrbudda
Site Admin

Postby jrbudda » Wed May 08, 2019 6:03 pm

All the games you mentioned are directx, not opengl. Would still suspect a gpu driver type problem.

detnyre

Postby detnyre » Wed May 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Found the problem and was able to get Vivecraft to work with Linux.

The main problem is that I needed to use Java JRE 8 - not anything newer.

Can see what version of java you at using by going to terminal and typing java -version.

It seems like one of the libraries Vivecraft or OptiFine uses does not like the newer versions of Java on Linux.

Running it with the Pop!_OS Linux distro but should also work with Ubuntu.

I like Pop!_OS because they have a distro that has the Nvidia drivers built in - no additional messing around needed.